- "Our guided tour of the Acropolis with Poppy from Greek Travellers was exceptional. We did the tour with our teenage daughters and with their grandmother. Poppy could talk to young and old alike. She was extremely knowledgeable and delivered the information in a way that was informative but very entertaining. 100% recommendable and worth every cent."
- Elisenda, TripaDvisor
2. What you can expect
After meeting with your family-friendly guide, you will start your tour from the Acropolis and the great Parthenon. The tour will focus on Greek mythology and the epic tales connected to the monuments located on the Acropolis Hill.
Learn about the birth of Athena from Zeus’ forehead and its symbolism. Listen to legends and mythical stories, such as the contest between Athena and Poseidon about the naming of the city. See also the holy tree of Athena next to Erechtheion and hear rattling stories of great heroes and giants.
With the aid of 3D virtual and reconstruction technology, you can also have the chance to see the Acropolis Hill and its buildings as they really looked like thousands of years ago and walk through doors and rooms otherwise locked or lost forever (optional add-on)!
Moving on from the Acropolis, you will take a storytelling walk through picturesque neighborhoods, like Plaka, Anafiotika and Monastiraki. The interactive narrative of your guide will keep your children engaged and make the tour fun and enjoyable for everyone!
The Messenger God, Hermes, will show the way toward Psyri neighborhood and Goddess Athena will be your guide as you taste her favorite fruit, the olives! Visit a family-run deli to taste the amazing Greek olive oil and discover how it is connected to the goddess of wisdom. Bonus taste: a rare variety of Greek honey! You will then visit the Central Market of Athens and try various products of Greece while listening to exciting myths connecting to them.
Finally, after the adventurous walk in the neighborhoods of Athens, it is time for the whole family to hop on the private minivan and discover the rest of Athens' highlights from the comfort of the car. When you feel like it, you can hop off the car to see something up close and take photos. You will be enjoying the views of Athens while your expert guide shares the basic history and myths of the landmarks you come across.
Landmarks and places of interest
- Acropolis Hill (Parthenon, Erechtheion, Propylaea, Temple of Athena Nike)
- Ancient Theatre of Dionysus, Odeon of Herodes Atticus
- Rock of Areopagus (Areopagus Hill)
- Temple of Olympian Zeus, Arch of Hadrian
- Gate of Athena Archigetis, Tower of Winds
- Choragic Monument of Lysicrates
- Plaka, Anafiotika
- Dionysiou Areopagitou Street
- Greek Parliament House, Syntagma Square
- Presidential Guard and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- Panathenaic Stadium
- Athens Central Market
- 08.30 - 10.30: Acropolis Mythology Tour
- 10.30 - 12.30: Mythology Storytelling Walk (Plaka, Anafiotika, Monastiraki)
- 12.30 - 14.30: Highlights of Athens with a private minivan