- "A truly wonderful and well-designed tour and we had the pleasure to have Alexandros as our guide! An amazingly educated person who had endless stories to share with us. The Byzantine and Christian museum was actually one of the best museums we ever visited! Such a rich and unique collection, it is too bad it is not that well-known. Alexandros also guided us in many different byzantine churches, some of which date back to the 11th century! We really liked the fact that we could also enter most of the churches and see the inside. Best tour we had in Athens!"
- Nick M.
2. What you can expect
Athens experienced a significant resurgence during the Byzantine period, becoming, once again, a city of great beauty and cultural significance. Many of the modest Byzantine churches of the time are magnificent examples of Byzantine religious craftsmanship and architecture. The Greek capital has the highest proportion of Byzantine churches in Greece, thus, enjoying a guided tour of that side of the city is an opportunity not to be missed when you are in Athens.
Experience the beauty of the Byzantine and Christian Museum of Athens, where you will find an awe-inspiring collection of early Christian artifacts, including frescoes, mosaics, and sculptures that will transport you back in time. Learn about the history of Christianity in Greece and its impact on art and culture.
After your guided tour of the museum, you can enjoy a cup of authentic Greek coffee at a traditional café located within the National Gardens. This charming café offers a peaceful respite from the hustle and bustle of the city. As you stroll through the lush greenery and take in the picturesque scenery, you will be transported back to another era, and leave feeling inspired and enlightened.
Our guided tour will continue at the Byzantine path as we discover some of the best and most beautifully decorated churches of the Byzantine times. As we delve deeper into the city's religious past, we will uncover stories of devotion, sacrifice and faith that have shaped the city into what it is today. From the little masterpiece of a Byzantine church laying in the shadow of the grand Metropolis of Athens, to the intimate and peaceful atmosphere of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and the other smaller churches, our tour will leave you with a deeper understanding and appreciation of Athens' Byzantine heritage.
Throughout the tour, our expert, state-licensed guide will provide insights into the history and significance of these churches, as well as their architectural and artistic features.
Join us on this journey through time and discover the beauty and significance of Athens' Byzantine churches and the cultural treasures of the Christian Museum. It's a tour that will inspire and educate, leaving you with lasting memories of this fascinating city.
Places of interest:
- Byzantine and Christian Museum
- National Gardens
- Holy Church of the Holy Trinity - Soteira Lykodemos
- Holy church of Saint Catherine
- Holy Church of Saint Nicholas Rangavas
- Holy Church of the Holy Sepulchre
- Holy church of Hagia Dynamis
- Holy church of Theotokos Gorgoepikoos and Agios Eleftherios
- Holy Church of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary - Panagia Kapnikarea
- Holy Church of the Virgin Mary - Pantanassa
Note: The above churches are indicative. Depending on your pace and unpredictable factors (such as construction/works underway) we may have to adjust our visits. Moreover, the churches have varying and unpredictable opening hours and some of them may be closed during this walking tour, in which case visiting the inside will not be possible.
Optional: Add a guided visit to the Holy Monastery of Daphni (a UNESCO World Heritage site, considered one of the most important surviving examples of Byzantine architecture and art in Greece) or the Monastery of Kaisariani (a beautiful 11th-century Byzantine monastery, known for its impressive frescoes and mosaics).